In my opinion, oats are one of the very few actual beneficial grains that are good for the body. It is very high in beta-glucan fiber and helps support a good lipid profile. Well, it is if we don’t add a lot of sugar and other bad things to it like granola, sugar, etc. I used to eat this every morning, however, in a test in the last half of 2022, I learned of the importance of eating different foods in a meal AND meals during the day in this order: Fiber > Fat > Protein > Carbohydrates. So now I eat oatmeal for LUNCH! That’s right! It sounds strange, but it actually works out very well! This recipe combines a lot of protein to it, however, check out this full-fat version that is much different yet OH SO DELICIOUS and even more filling!
Of course, you can add things to or modify this, but I have a reason for every ingredient that is used.
- Ceylon Cinnamon because it contains 250 times LESS coumarin than “regular” Cassia. Read more about this and why it is important.
- Chia Seeds deliver a massive amount of nutrients and health benefits with only a few calories. It is best to soak these so you can absorb the most nutrients and possibly not get dehydrated when digesting as they absorb a crazy amount of water.
- 100% Coconut Milk has numerous health benefits and can affect cholesterol.
- Grass-fed Vanilla Whey Protein adds a nice and smooth vanilla flavor while providing clean and complete protein.
I normally sweeten this with monk fruit extract, but I will sometimes use a tablespoon of local honey.
Garnish the top with a sprinkling of unsoaked chia seeds for a pleasant little crunch but make sure it’s only a small amount to garnish… you want most of them to be soaked first.
High Protein Cinnamon Oatmeal
I specifically use certain ingredients and will link to them. I have valid reason(s) for choosing those items. Substituting other types may not yield the best nutritional results. Quality of ingredients matter!
- 1 tbsp Soaked Chia Seeds (Soak in equal amount of water until absorbed. )
- .5 c Organic Extra Thick Rolled Oats (Steel-cut would be the best but will take much longer to cook.)
- 6 floz Water (You may need more or less.)
- 1 tbsp 100% Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon
- 15 drops Liquid Monkfruit Extract
- 30 g Vanilla Whey Protein (Plant-based powders will yield a weird texture!)
- Start soaking the chia seeds in an equal amount of water.1 tbsp Soaked Chia Seeds
- Cook the water and oatmeal according to the package directions either on the stove or in a microwave.6 floz Water
- When finished cooking, add the remaining ingredients and stir well.1 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon, 1 tbsp Soaked Chia Seeds, 1 tbsp 100% Coconut Milk, 15 drops Liquid Monkfruit Extract